It is one of the famous Lord Shiva temples located in the Rudraprayag district at a height of about 3600 metres (11,800 feet) above sea level. It was built by the Pandavas dedicating it to Lord Shiva. It is situated amidst thick forests; here the face (mukha) of god Shiva is worshipped as Nilkanth Mahadeva. The temple opens every year in the month of April / May and closes in the mid of November. The trek to the temple is around 20kms going through the Sagar village which is rich in scenic beauty, tall grass, oak trees and Rhododendron.
There are various sacred water tanks (“Kund”) near Rudranath temple. Some of them are Surya-kund, Chandra-kund, Tara-kund, Mana-Kund. Nanda Devi, Trishul and Nanda Ghunti are the two popular mountain.
Place to Visit in Rudranath Temple
- Koteshwar mahadev temple
Travel Route From Delhi to Rudraprayag
- Distance by Road 378 Kms
- Distance by Flight 253 Kms
- Travel Time by Road is 9:29 hrs
- Nearest Airport in Delhi Indira Gandhi
- Nearest Airport in Rudraprayag Shaheed Bhagat Singh International Airport
Can vary around
- 20°C – 36°C in summers
- 0°C – 15°C in winters,
Best Time To Visit
- Summer (April to June) because in summer time the weather is very beautiful
- Winter snowfall (December to February) this time period is best to visit if you love snowfall