Tungnath is one of the highest Shiva Temple in the world with unprecedented Himalayan views. It is situated in the Rudraprayag District of Garhwal Region of Uttarakhand and is at a distance of about 4 km from the gorgeous meadow of Chopta.Temple is associated with the Panch Kedar temples which were built by Pandavas. This temple, over a thousand years old is built of massive stone slabs over a large rectangular platform. One can also reach Tungnath by trekking which is quite easy trail to cover until you cross the temple towards the Chandrashila Peak i.e, top of the mountain.
Tungnath temple is a famous religious attraction, this temple is related with a stories of lord Shiva and Pandavas, as it is said that after the war between Kauravas and Pandavas in which Pandavas won,
Pandavas were guilty of killing their own relatives (Kauravas) who had stolen pandavas kingdom from them. That is when sage Vyas rishi advised them that because they had done sins of slaying their own relatives, they should pray to lord Shiva because only lord Shiva can forgive them from the sin they had been committed.
Place to Visit in Tungnath Temple
- Kanchula Kharak Musk Deer Sanctuary.
- Rohini Bugyal
- Deoria Tal
Travel Route From Delhi
- Driving Distance : 456 KM and 903 meters / 283.9 miles.
- Straight Line Distance : 283 KM and 500 meters / 176.2 miles.
- Travel time : 9 hours and 6 minutes.
- Direction and bearing : North East side, 45 degree.
Can vary around
- 10°C – 19°C in summers
- -6°C – 12°C in winters,
Best Time To Visit
- Summer (April – June) because in summer time the weather is very beautiful
- Winter snowfall (November to march) this time period is best to visit if you love snowfall